Wednesday 5 September 2012

My Threesome in Italy

Not 'Dio' (God) but food is arguably the most sacred thing in Italy and Italian culture.

'Oh the ice cream!' Is all I can help but think as my hand hovers, over the glass which separates my own world from that of the ice creams'. Until you have come to Italy you have never eaten ice cream; It comes in every flavour imaginable from exotic flavours such as coconut and banana, to flavours to please the sweet toothed such as Kinder, white chocolate and trifle. Then there are the equally exquisite, yet simple flavours such as lemon and my current favourite strawberry. I have been indulged in a love affair with strawberry and white chocolate these past two weeks. We have an intimate relationship every evening after supper which tantalizes and teases my taste buds. The ice cream enters my mouth, a firework bursting with flavour and then leaving me cooled as it slides, slowly down my throat. This pure instant pleasure has caused nothing but punishment to my body-But I'm sure it won't hold a grudge as when I return my threesome with ice cream flavours won't be coming home with me.

We lay our table like a shrine and gather around it like a congregation waiting for the glorious pasta to be served. The importance of the meal is emphasized by the gathering of the family to eat together: Like a mass where each bite is a prayer and each dish is a gospel. At the end of the mass the family winds down with a game of cards followed by a nap. (Outside the sun shines with all its might scorching anyone with a single touch of its' rays.)

For vanity purposes of wanting to be 'golden' I dare to lie onto the volcanic rocks-which look like colossal charcoal- under the menacing sun at mid-day! I lye in a pool which unfortunately I can only describe as my own sweat, waiting for the wind to caress my nearly naked body. I can't help noticing the way it excites my body causing goose bumps to take over my skin. On my arms, on my legs rising the fine hairs, letting the air stroke my skin...

As the holiday comes to an end I start to resemble more of an orange (or a jersey sure character) than a human being. My last days are spent with local relatives eating and relaxing or as they would better put it 'Il bel far niente'.


Love O
X

No comments:

Post a Comment